Tuesday, October 7, 2008

HOW AND WHY I STARTED THIS BLOG

I never talked about how or why I started this blog. Let me just tell you before I go any further.

Many, many, many people have brought up this whole 'blog' thing to me since last year. Each time, I basically said 'No, what's the point?", or "I hate writing", or "It's going to take up too much time"...well actually the third one is still true, but anyway this went on for a long time.

In early August 2008, a friend needed some serious help because he was losing more money than WM, well maybe not WM, but he was losing heck of a lot! He told me that I'm really good at explaining and teaching things. That's really funny, because I never considered myself as a teacher, and teaching was never a career choice. Off topic, I think teachers in America are way underpaid for the important public service they provide. Education is way underfunded so it's no surprise that America is the way it is. Teachers have very little monetary incentive to do what they do, and I believe they do it because they seriously want to do it. I think they should get paid much, much more.

Going back on topic. My friend (and still several others) told me to start a blog. In the beginning, this blog was so new and there was nothing on it that if I saw this blog, I probably wouldn't have visited it myself lolz. Later on, I felt that there was a big need for a complete understanding of technical analysis because it is an art form that is misused, unused, and under appreciated. As I helped more and more readers, I got this overwhelming desire to help even further and share with the world everything I know so far. This is why I provide the "Reader's Request" articles. If you ask, so shall ye receive (or however that phrase is worded).

The newsletters that some of you receive (if you haven't signed up for it -- green box to the left) was the fruit of that desire above. I thought it would be great to provide a "weekly technical commentary" to people at the beginning of the week to help them prepare for what's in store. Since starting it in mid-August, hundreds and hundreds of you have signed up, and your positive comments and acceptance is what primarily drives me to write them now. They are free, so obviously, I don't get compensated.

In the beginning, I knew no one here. I have had the opportunity to meet with other traders and share ideas along the way. I also write for Seeking Alpha, Green Faucet, Grace Cheng, and Wall Street Survivor so far, so apparently, my "I hate writing" mindset has completely changed. I enjoy writing now that I think about it and I don't ever intend to stop blogging about trading and technical analysis.

So that's my story. Hope you enjoyed what I've presented so far. Thanks for reading.

-John C. Lee (WeeklyTA)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

So since when was this blog create? I suppose in late august? if so, I found myself extremely lucky for discovering such website at such early stage. I have been following your advice and it has been working very well. It is good to know that you have no intend to stop blogging about TA.

Tradermarketinfo-

John C. Lee said...

yes, this blog is only 1.5 months old.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is working. I have discovered your articles about technical trading on greenfaucet. It was something new for me because I have had some basic knowledge but I hadn´t known how to implement it into practice. Thank you for your explanations, John!

Mark said...

Keep it up John!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for alerting me to this blog. This is my first visit. Being an octogenarian (I just turned 80 today), I find the black background difficult to read. I suppose you use it to discourage printing the pages; if so, I understand. If not, I tend to think that a white/light-blue background would be better.

Anonymous said...

hey John,

Should we stay long? trending negative on and off. Just double checking with you.

John C. Lee said...

Well, there was enough juice at the open for me to just sell into strength. The day is forming a bearish flag so I'm on and off short, trying to time this flag.

Anonymous said...

I see I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold on to me POT!

John C. Lee said...

omooc - happy birthday. Yea, I know, I think it's too late to change the template without messing everything up.

John C. Lee said...

what do you think you should do? There is excessive weakness in this rally.

Anonymous said...

I actually see a bearish signal forming I started shorting at $91 I don't know if i should stay short! I failed to rally!

Anonymous said...

Man.. this is a TUFF market to predict! I shorted another 500 shares at 88 and it bounce back up! ahhh (Banging my head)

John C. Lee said...

it is a reaction rally

Anonymous said...

Losing my shirt here! it's at $91! I assume when you say reaction rally meaning a dead cat bounce? if So, I'm going to stay short for another 30 mins and see what happen! I have been using DMI as one of my indicator but seems like it's not working very well

John C. Lee said...

no, its not a dcb. i suggest removing a portion of your position if you're bothered by it.

Anonymous said...

I actually think you should stay short. It is forming a bearish head and shoulder! But John is right as well if you can not tolerate the near term volatility.

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
Any comments on FSLR. I am loosing big time on this! Thanks

John C. Lee said...

hmm, well FSLR didn't gap up in the morning like most things. Sometimes things like this do happen, and you either cut your loss or you cut enough so you can sleep at night. Obviously, there could be a potential short-term bottom, but there's also the risk of continued decline. That's unknown, the day is forming a doji pattern.

Anonymous said...

Do you think the market is bottom out? I am buying DDM but seem like I don't see any bounce from here? Your input. Thanks

John C. Lee said...

there is a bounce due, but this not the 'actual' bottom imo.

Anonymous said...

POT looks strong today in the down market. Do you think we can go long?

MV said...

Only recently discovered this blog and it is a must read for me every day. Keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

Hi John,

Next week, what stocks should I focus? I lost more than 50% of my portfolio in 2 months. I read your entire blog and feeling you are very good trader. I need your help in understanding and applying technical analysis in daily trading. My email is johnle02@yahoo.com. Thanks